Tuesday 8 January 2008

A Chat over the hedge

A bird that almost rivals its close relative the Robin for its friendliness, winter Stonechats usually are quite confiding and can become very approachable once they are used to your presence. They seem to overwinter in pairs, and these Cambridgeshire birds have found a nice stretch of Bramble covered ditch next to a farm track, to provide food and shelter until the spring.
I used the car as a mobile hide to get these shots; perfect shooting conditions, good light, an elevated track affording views over the hedge, and a very distant background that allowed me to use small apertures and still have diffuse colours behind the birds, it was only the waiting for the birds to perch in the place on the taller twigs that needed some time; but with a flask of hot coffee and the Sunday Express crossword to do, it was a very nice way to spend the day. A small set of images, including one of the female, from the 17 gig I shot........

3 comments:

Keith Reeder said...

These make me a bit jealous, Nigel. I haven't seen hide nor hair of a stonechat since I got my 40D, and really want to test the camera out on what - as you point out - is a usually very approachable little bird.

I think that the fourth is my favourite shot of the male; and the female is just magic.

Andy said...

Nigel your shots are pure class! Just been looking back through your blog and its obvious you've got an artistic, as well as technically acurate, eye! I'm just starting on the DSLR journey if I can acheive any thing half as good as yours once I 've got my head around it I'll be very happy
I am officially inspired!

Nigel Blake said...

I've finally figured out how to reply to comments Keith.. I've done some more Stonechats since these...

Andy, many thanks for your comments, I hope to continue inspiring!